Parents’ Corner – Fun in the kitchen
Parents’ Corner – Fun in the kitchen. Chef Sandra Compton is here from the Young Chefs Academy. She has a fun and delicious recipe for kids, and it even contains veggies!
Super Duper Zucchini Muffins
Read It! (Read your recipe all the way through before you begin!)
Place It! (Get everything out and ready to cook!)
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
½ tsp. salt
½ cup shortening
¼ cup sour milk*
¼ tsp. lemon juice
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 ½ cups shredded zucchini
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ cup brown sugar (for topping)
Paper liners (optional)
Measuring cups and spoon
Wooden spoon or spatula
Salad shooter or safety grater
(Time to cook!) Create It!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a muffin pan, or use paper liners.
2. Prepare sour milk* and set aside.
3. Prep for adult helper only: While milk is souring, shred zucchini using a salad shooter or
4. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar with a whisk. Stir in baking powder, baking soda,
cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
5. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
6. Make a well in the center. Pour in the milk, eggs, zucchini, and vanilla. Stir.
7. Fill muffin cups ¾ full. Sprinkle tops with brown sugar.
8. Bake in oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out
clean. Allow to cool. Makes 14 muffins.
*Prepare sour milk by combining milk and ½ tsp. lemon juice (or vinegar) in a small bowl and allowing to set for 5 minutes.
Submit Your Photo